Re: [fw-wiz] Hunt for VPN devices

From: Lorens Kockum (firewall-wizards-20021015at_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 02:08:04 PDT

    On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:00:08PM -0700, Jeff Boles wrote:
    > Hate to ask this question here, but I'm a bit stumped - are there any
    > dedicated VPN devices left on the market?
    >
    > I used to love the redcreek dedicated vpn devices (before they were acquired
    > by SonicWall).
    >
    > These days, seems that all VPN services are either on a firewall or router
    > box, and I favor architectures which don't really use VPN on either.  Still
    > stuck on the idea of being able to run and manage VPN separately, and

    NetScreen ? Can firewall too (and does it correctly AFAIK) but
    you don't *have* to use the firewall. I have seen it marketed
    as an inexpensive device to put at branch offices, and it seems
    it isn't expensive at all (a lot less than the purchase price
    for a PC running Linux, not considering price of setup, power,
    maintenance, space . . .).

    Disclaimer: I haven't put my hands on it myself, only talked to
    people very happy with it.

    As an option, there's a management program for "a lot of
    NetScreens, it's really cool", but I've never seen it, never
    talked to anyone who has used it (and therefore none who could
    compare it to NetPartitioner, favorably or not (Disclaimer2:
    personal pro-NetPartitioner bias)) and I don't have the
    slightest idea as to pricing.

    --
    #include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum