[fw-wiz] Hunt for VPN devices

From: Jeff Boles (bolesjbat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 13:00:08 PDT

    Hate to ask this question here, but I'm a bit stumped - are there any
    dedicated VPN devices left on the market?

    I used to love the redcreek dedicated vpn devices (before they were acquired
    by SonicWall).

    These days, seems that all VPN services are either on a firewall or router
    box, and I favor architectures which don't really use VPN on either.  Still
    stuck on the idea of being able to run and manage VPN separately, and
    grouping this functionality on a firewall or router device muddies the
    administration for clients, and adds unnecessary functionality, especially
    for clients with restricted technical resources.  Additionally, I don't
    really like compromising on VPN functionality or firewall functionality, and
    multipurpose boxes seem to require either that, or an excessively high cost.

    Thanks for any suggestions,

    JB.