Re: [fw-wiz] Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 12:54:52 PDT

    "Philip J. Koenig" wrote:

    > Now Checkpoint has commissioned a test that purports to show
    > their product performs better than "dedicated hardware" from
    > Cisco and Netscreen.  I would like to have people's opinion
    > on this test, in part because my observation of Tolly Group
    > test reports is that they're one of these "guns for hire"
    > that never writes a bad review for someone who pays them for
    > one.

    Gag.

    It wouldn't cause me so much heartburn if the title and intro
    specified they were only measuring raw VPN throughput.

    While the title of the report says:

    "Competitive Evaluation of Enterprise-Class Internet Security
     Solutions"

    the evaluation is pretty limited:

    "Engineers configured the DUT as a single-rule, allow-all
     firewall"

    --
    Gary Flynn
    Security Engineer - Technical Services