Re: Two questions

From: Blake Frantz (blakeat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 09:55:54 PDT

    Hello,

    To the best of my knowledge, the DoS'ed sever does not respond and the
    connection times out.

    RST's are sent whenever a TCP segment arrives that isn't correct
    for the current connection (ie no listening service.).

    If there is a service listening on the requested port and the
    service/daemon is out of available connections, the TCP stack doesn't send
    anything back unless the daemon is smart enough to realize it and *tells*
    the stack to send data (ie license violation...).

    (correct me if I'm mistaken)

    It does not send ICMP Source Quench unless (depending on which RFC your
    router conforms to) the DoS has saturated the routers buffers.

    <TCP Illustrated>
    RFC 1009 (1987) requires routers to generate source quench packets when it
    runs out of buffers.

    The new Router Requirements RFC(Almquist 1993) changes this and says that
    a router must not originate source quench errors because is consumes
    network bandwidth and is ineffective.
    </TCP Illustrated>

    as for question two....

    I would fire up netcat and let my sniffer do the logging.

    Blake

    The Government, like diapers, should be replaced regularly, and
    often for the same reasons.