Any defense against ping flood?

From: Talley, Brooks (brooksat_private)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 17:48:41 PDT

    I'm in a bit of a bind here.  My network is currently experincing 27mbps
    of incoming ICMP echo-requests, all coming from -- suprise -- China.
    It's been going on since 5am PDT (13 hours, so far).

    The funny part is that they are trying to flood the whitehouse.gov web
    site, but they are accidentally targeting whitehouse.org, my somewhat
    weak parody site.  If there's anything worse than an attempted DoS
    attack, it's an attempted DoS attack based on mistaken identity.

    I can drop the packets at the router when they enter my network, and
    that's what I'm doing.  Does anyone have advice for actually making it
    stop, though?  I'm expecting that I wouldn't have great luck contacting
    the netblock admins.

    The pings are coming from all over the 211.72/16 netblock.  All over it.

    Thanks
    Brooks Talley
    FRNK Technology Group