Re: Any defense against ping flood?

From: Jason Storm (secat_private)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 07:26:40 PDT

    On Fri, 4 May 2001, Talley, Brooks wrote:

    > I'm in a bit of a bind here.  My network is currently experincing 27mbps
    > of incoming ICMP echo-requests, all coming from -- suprise -- China.
    > It's been going on since 5am PDT (13 hours, so far).

    > The pings are coming from all over the 211.72/16 netblock.  All over it.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brooks Talley
    > FRNK Technology Group

    If they are coming from the 211.72/16 netblock, it would seem that it is
    someone using that networks broadcast ips as amplifiers to attack you, in
    which case there is no reason to think its an attack of Chinese origin
    necessarily. In these heated times there is no need to give every 14 year
    old with a broadcast scanner the power to lend fuel to international
    tension by falsely laying blame, although it would be nice if the
    upstreams on the /16 had ingress/egress filters in place..

    In the meantime, try calling your upstream or provider and have them
    blackhole the offending subnet upstream from your router..  (although this
    can get more frustrating than the attack itself..)

    -jason storm