Re: DNS ports and scans

From: Abe Getchell (agetchelat_private)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 22:28:54 PDT

    Hi Jason,
    	Stevens says, "When the resolver issues a query and the response
    comes back with the TC bit set ("truncated") it means the size of the
    response exceeded 512 bytes, so only the first 512 bytes were returned by
    the server.  The resolver normally issues the request again, using TCP.
    This allows more than 512 bytes to be returned."
    	Now when you mention 'blocking' it, I assume you're talking about
    blocking TCP 53 from external networks incoming to your internal network(s)
    with some sort of firewall device.  So, if you have any host entries in
    which the data returned to resolver is greater than 512 bytes (fairly common
    for large round robin entries), then it could possibly break resolution or
    at least cripple functionality for some external users depending on how
    their DNR handles the absence of TCP DNS resolution.

    Thanks,
    Abe

    Abe L. Getchell - Security Engineer
    Division of System Support Services