DNS ports and scans

From: Jason Lewis (jlewisat_private)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 09:36:05 PDT

    DNS queries are on UDP port 53.  TCP port 53 is used for zone transfers.  By
    blocking TCP port 53 I can't do zone transfers, but clients can still do
    lookups on UDP 53.  Since I have blocked TCP port 53, I have seen a decrease
    in attack attempts on my name servers, primarily because that port isn't
    open.  I do still see scans for the DNS ports, but nothing more than a port
    scan.

    My question is...Can anyone come up with any pros/cons of doing this?

    My name servers are successfully serving my domains, so I don't see a
    downside.  Thoughts?

    Jason Lewis
    http://www.rivalpath.com
    "All you can do is manage the risks. There is no security."