Re: Printer exploit?

From: Thomas Corriher (tcorriherat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 20:05:06 PDT

    > (Oh, how I hope they have improved :) but the thing to look for in their
    > setup utilities is a way to restrict connections to only a few IP
    > addresses -- the print servers on your NT/Unix machines that have
    > logging and much better access controls (tcpd aka tcp wrappers, or an NT
    > equivelent which I hope exists).

    This is just a technicality, but I do not think that the lp
    daemon uses the standard TCP Wrappers.  This is because the
    daemon consults the /etc/hosts.lpd file, instead of the usual
    /etc/hosts.allow file.  The format is different too.  Everyone
    who uses the generic lpd should create (touch) the /etc/hosts.lpd
    file on every new machine, to block unapproved access to the
    daemon.  An empty file means no access.  Counting on the
    /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files for protection is
    useless.  I wonder if some of the people reading this are now
    saying to themselves: oh sh...  What I have said is true for
    Linux lpd.  There may be differences in the lpds which are
    shipped with other Unices.

    --
      Thomas Corriher

    and tracking system please see: