RE: Code Red, anyone?

From: Jürgen Nieveler (Juergen.Nievelerat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 07:41:01 PDT

    > Remember, it took several days last time before it got big.
    > This time there
    > are less systems for it to infect, but it has a bigger base
    > number from which
    > to spread. Without hard numbers, it's impossible to come up
    > with even a guess
    > at what the spread rate will be.

    But if the number of hosts at the start is higher, the speed of infections
    will be higher, as there are more simultaneous attempts to find targets.

    And if the total number of vulnerable hosts is lower, this means that it
    will get harder for the worm to find new hosts - unless it's able to
    reinfect hosts that already are infected, which of course would probably
    crash those hosts after a few cycles.

    All in all, I think that this would mean that the epidemic will burn out
    even faster than last time...

    --
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely

    Juergen Nieveler
    Encrease AG
    Team eCommerce
    Tel.: +49/241/16008-327
    Fax:  +49/241/16008-354
    Email: juergen.nievelerat_private
    Web: www.encrease.de
    PGP:
    2AAB A988 0B80 D53F FC53  3BED 8CC0 2092 922D 8378 (DH)
    5ADF A15E 91E4 98DB  2391 0D29 8B08 A884 (RSA)
    Disclaimer: Views are mine, not my employers´