Re: Code Red Stats

From: Alex Butcher (alexat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 02:35:24 PDT

    Nicholas Bachmann wrote:

    > Hi all-
    >
    > I think I have found a formula to approximate the number of infected
    > hosts.  My formula is
    >
    > ([(Number of Infected Hosts * Number CR Queries p/ Day) / Total IPs on
    > the Internet ]^-1) / Average IP Requests p/ Host
    >
    > So what I would need to know to figure out the approximate number of
    > infected hosts:
    > *How many IPs CR can check in a day (Number CR Queries p/ Day)
    > *Average Number of times people are checked during a set period,
    > probably 5:00a-5:00p (Average IP Requests p/ Host)
    >
    > Does anyone see any big flaws in this (I know it isn't perfect) formula
    > that would keep it from being within a reasonable margin of error?

    I was thinking along the same lines myself. The tricky bit is

    CR-Queries/day; IMHO, this will mainly depend on the response time of the

    targeted host.

    Having said that, I was observing the complete attack taking 5-10s.

    Bearing in mind that the worm spawns 99 scanning threads (right?), I
    reckon a single worm can scan a host in an effective time of 0.1s
    (assuming unlimited outbound bandwidth, which should be reasonable given
    how small (4K) these attacks are). This would give a scan rate of
    10*60*60*24=864000 hosts/day.

    I saw 3 or 4 attacks in a 2h 40m time period (i.e. 27-36 scans per IP
    address per day, scaled to 24 hours).

    Howzat?

    Best Regards,
    Alex (not a statistician).
    --
    Alex Butcher                                      PGP/GnuPG Key IDs:
    Consultant, S3 Systems Security Services          alex@s3       B7709088