RE: CRv2 August 1st dynamics

From: Ken Williams (Kwilliamsat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 12:46:44 PDT

    Given two theories about the launch of Code Red:

    1) Non-malicious (due to low-threat nature of payload) "wake-up call" by
    some member of the Blue Force security crowd (us).

    2) Feasibility test on spread rates, Blue Force response times, etc. by a
    potential adversary,

    have you considered modeling the spread over several months?  We will soon
    have two data points.  Might be able to develop a predictor(s) of:

    How long does it take for the total spread to decay to some "constant"
    number of vulnerable machines (the 5% that NEVER get the word and apply the
    patch)?  Is it 5% or some other number?  For a particular vulnerability,
    will it ever approach zero, short of a new release of the product containing
    the vulnerability that results in complete replacement of the offending
    code?  What's the (probable vs emprically observed) shape of the decay curve
    (over months), and can we draw any conclusions for future worms with cycles
    shorter than monthly?  And, finally, does June see any directly comparable
    mathematical models for spread, saturation, etc. im epidemiology - are these
    virtually the same equations?

    Ken Williams
    Zel Technologies, LLC