Was RE: disinfection tool -- now a minor rant.

From: Mark Challender (MarkCat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 12:05:21 PDT

    This email struck a nerve in me.

    Mr. Ng speaks of "ignorant Sysadmins" and wanting to "get the idiots
    to listen."

    A lot of people, me included, can't understand why professional
    admins don't update their systems.

    What many of us forget, though, is that NT4 is being used by millions
    of small businesses who do not have professional admins and don't
    have a clue what IIS4 is and why it needs to be patched.  Yet, they
    are connected with DSL (Cisco 675 modems that are failing) or
    fractional T1s and they don't understand why the "bad guys" want to
    get into their systems.

    What needs to be done is for people like us to educate those business
    owners.  Contact your local paper or radio station and talk to the
    news director.  Do an interview, be an expert.  Create a "hit squad"
    of local sysadmins and offer to take phone calls from business
    owners.  Create a Code RED fix on CD (maybe include SP6 and all post
    SP6 fixes including the IIS fixes on CD with an automated QChain
    script)

    But, quit complaining about "stupid, ignorant sysadmins" and the
    "idiots" and do something to help the situation.

    Most of us were not smart sysadmins to begin with........