RE: Was RE: disinfection tool -- now a minor rant.

From: Marc Maiffret (marcat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 13:24:27 PDT

    I couldnt agree more. Dont get me wrong... I have said things to knock
    admins in the past however the more i talk to administrators I find that
    companies themselves make it a pain for administrators to sometimes even do
    their jobs.

    Two of the biggest things I from nt admins about security:
    1. I am damned if I do and damned if I dont. A lot of times I have to wait
    until late friday night or late in the evening to install a security patch
    because company management doesnt want any downtime for our eCommerce store
    etc...
    2. I can not install XYZ Microsoft patch until we have tested it with our
    environment to make sure its not going to break things. Funny enough a lot
    of NT admin's seem to be more afraid patches sometimes then vulnerabilities
    themselves.

    those are generalizations and just examples but never the less i was a bit
    surprised as i talked with a large handful of admins about this codered
    ordeal.... i was especially (well not really) surprised about number 2.

    Signed,
    Marc Maiffret
    Chief Hacking Officer
    eEye Digital Security