Re: CRv2 multiple scans from same source IP

From: Andy Berkheimer (andyat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 13:51:52 PDT

    >On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, corecode wrote:
    >
    >> it could generate the same ip address again in it's PRNG but the chance
    >> this happening is near 0.
    >
    >You're saying that the chance it will try a duplicate IP again later is 0?
    >Not quite 0...
    >
    >(1/(254*254))*3/8 + (1/(254*254*254))*4/8 =~ 0.00000584, or 0.000584%.
    >Which means 1 out of about 171,144 generated numbers will be a dupe.  I
    >don't know what the average scan rate of this thing is, but if we assume
    >300 threads at 10 seconds each average to either deliver payload or time
    >out,  that's 95 minutes between dupes average.
    >
    >My logs also bear out that dupes are common.

    Don't forget the birthday paradox.

    If the odds of any two generated numbers being the same is 1/171,144,
    then there are better than 50/50 odds that you will find a duplicate
    in any selection of ~500 IP addresses generated by the propogating worm.

    Given 300 threads running, dupes from CRII should be very common.

    -andy