CR - inetinfo - tool to show number of processes

From: Soeren Ziehe (robintonat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 13:20:00 PDT

    Hello,

    by chance I learned of the existence of prcview (www.prcview.com), which
    is a process viewer. It displays running processes, their threads, used
    DLL'S etc.
    Under Win95 (presumably also under 98/ME) it displays the number of
    threads for each process in a column in its main window.

    This easily allows one to check the number of threads for inetinfo.exe
    (IIS). I do not know the number of threads for a "normal" IIS on a non-
    busy/busy site. However one should be able to easily see a drastic
    increase of threads caused by CRv1/CRv2 or CodeRedII (even more so).

    Under NT4 I do not get the column with the number of threads. There one
    has to use a seperate thread list window for each process. Since there
    is no sum displayed it could be quite difficult to get the number of
    running threads easily, if the base number of threads for inetinfo.exe
    is quite high. However a huge increase caused by Code Red infection
    should be spotable nonetheless.
    Under win2000 the summary column for the number of threads is also
    missing and thus waht I wrote for winnt4 applies.

    Robinton

    --
    I've asked for kindness and ultimate truth. Still waiting for the answer.