Re: Increase in DNS traffic?

From: Simon Delicata (sdelicataat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 11:49:44 PDT

    Yeah... I've noticed a continually open ( 2 days +) UDP port from our ISP
    to our DNS server. I chopped the timeouts for idle connections (firewall
    setting), which has seemed to have helped. I've not read too deeply into
    the ida exploits, but if it tries to do a reverse DNS lookup against IP
    addresses it attacks, this might explain the spike

    Simon D

                        "kath"
                        <kath@kathweb        To:     <INCIDENTSat_private>
                        .net>                cc:
                                             Subject:     Increase in DNS traffic?
                        08/08/01
                        04:49

    Anyone see a spike in traffic to port 53?

    This is really odd, considering noone really uses this DNS server for
    lookups.

    - k