Re: Flash Worms

From: Robert Graham (robert_david_grahamat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 15:32:41 PDT

    --- Michal Zalewski <lcamtufat_private> wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Stuart Staniford wrote:
    >
    > > We argue that a well-prepared and well-designed worm could infect
    > all
    > > vulnerable Internet servers in less than thirty seconds - something
    > we
    > > are calling a Flash Worm.
    >
    > While I'm impressed with publications like this, and I am sure we
    > should
    > think seriously of scenarios described there, I hardly believe in "30
    > seconds" or "15 minutes" or any similar scenario for few reasons...

    People often ask me "what motivates people to write worms". The above
    discussions highlights one of the prime motivations. In the scientific
    community, we don't believe theories and propositions, only
    experimental evidence. Therefore, to prove that somebody can take down
    the Internet in 30 seconds, you actually have to do it. Otherwise,
    nobody really believes you.

    For example, everyone talked about the dangers of DDoS attacks, but
    people didn't really pay attention until Yahoo went down.

    I agree with Michal -- the Internet is surprisingly non-linear in
    behavior. It doesn't mean Stuart's work is wrong, just that we won't
    really know for sure until somebody does it.

    Ultimately, it isn't the researchers that will get credit for such
    things, but the cyberterrorists who actually carry out the attacks
    (e.g. Mafiaboy) and prove they work.