Re: Flash Worms

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 16:20:15 PDT

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Robert Graham wrote:

    > People often ask me "what motivates people to write worms". The above
    > discussions highlights one of the prime motivations. In the scientific
    > community, we don't believe theories and propositions, only
    > experimental evidence. Therefore, to prove that somebody can take down
    > the Internet in 30 seconds, you actually have to do it. Otherwise,
    > nobody really believes you.

    robert's almost right. (1) the scientific community doesn't ncessarily
    discard something without experimental evidence, but instead accepts well
    reasoned and founded arguments. example: einstein's theory of relativity,
    which took decades to gain experimental evidence (and we're still finding
    some), but was accepted much earlier due to the clean, solid reasoning
    behind it.

    i'm really sorry to see these two discussions gaining such blind
    acceptance. it strikes me as obvious that for both the warhol worm and the
    flash worm that people don't understand basic elements of dynamics, such
    as kinetic theory, which includes things like encounter theory and
    propogation. if such analysis were included, done, or even simply
    understood, i think that this whole discussion would have been seen as
    obviously lacking in technical merit, and ripe in hyperbole. in a
    nutshell, think sigmoidal growth patterns, not exponential.

    that's not to say that there can be an architecture for fast spread, but
    neither the warhol worm nor the flash worm seem to be adopting it.

    as such, i don't see the need for experimental demostration of this, only
    a more sound backing of the theory with some mathematical workings. sure,
    we can all assume infinitely fast transfer rates, sub-second
    exploitation/control gain, and inifinitely fast pipes, but even then 15
    minutes is not going to plausibly happen.

    i've started working on framing kinetic theory for the information
    scientist to discuss worms specifically. in the meantime, those who wish
    to seriously analyze these offerings in the flash worms and the warhol
    worm scenarios, please read this excellent paper by the IBM antivirus
    research team:

    http://www.research.ibm.com/antivirus/SciPapers/Kephart/ALIFE3/alife3.html

    notes: 1. i'm a scientisit, specifically a biochemist. i live in the
    scientific community, so .. thats my perspective. i don't speak for all,
    only ofering a perspective here that seems to be lost.

    jose nazario						     joseat_private
    	      	     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
    				       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)