Re: Flash Worms

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 11:56:42 PDT

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Stuart Staniford wrote:

    > We argue that a well-prepared and well-designed worm could infect all
    > vulnerable Internet servers in less than thirty seconds - something we
    > are calling a Flash Worm.

    While I'm impressed with publications like this, and I am sure we should
    think seriously of scenarios described there, I hardly believe in "30
    seconds" or "15 minutes" or any similar scenario for few reasons, that can
    be summarized with one sentence: the Internet is not perfect. It is not
    like we run nice LAN network of identical machines connected together with
    links that never fail and always work as advertised. It is not like the
    diversity and complexity of this network can be summarized by any
    assumptions similar to "average Internet host has an uplink of xxx kB/s".

    My guess is that you'd actually need much more than 30 seconds to reach
    significant percentage of vulnerable machines at all, due to network
    outages, overloaded links, and so on, and so on. Then, because both
    network structure (firewalling, routing) and system configuration is, heh,
    more than diverse, it significantly delimits number of "vulnerable hosts"
    that can be automatically attacked and successfully exploited. I would
    argue that it is not very likely for us to see a worm that reaches
    "saturation level" in less than 10-20 hours, and that attacks more than
    1,000,000 hosts, even according to very enthusiastic guesses (which are
    probably at least 50% overestimated) in next two years. Of course, I won't
    bet anything on that =)

    Just my $.02.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=