Re: Flash Worms

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 17:11:24 PDT

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Stuart Staniford wrote:

    > Agreed - we're only talking about saturation of the hosts that can
    > actually be attacked from the Internet, are vulnerable to whatever
    > exploit the worm has, are currently connected to the Internet, and
    > have publically routable static Internet addresses.  What we're
    > arguing is that the worm can reach all of those hosts that it's going
    > to reach in O(30secs) if it's small and uses the kind of strategies we
    > discuss.

    There's a huge network in Poland, called Polpak, connected to the
    Internet. It makes a part of it. It connects dozens, if not hundreds, of
    thousands of computers. It has very centralized structure, built around
    the capital of this country. It has very poor international uplinks,
    heavily overloaded, with packet loss ratio around 50-60% in peak hours.

    You can't ignore networks like that around the globe, they make a
    significant percent of overall host count. The Internet is not made only
    of US hosts in metropolitan areas, that can interact and exchange
    information in fast and reliable way.

    I doubt if you can actually inject your code to single host in this
    network in 30 seconds, in most cases, and even if so, overloaded hub in
    Warsaw would not stand the explosion, and certainly you would not reach
    saturation point in seconds. Not in minutes - in long hours, maybe...

    So?:)

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=