24 hour strobes from 10.0.x.x

From: Konrad Michels (konradat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 04:53:04 PDT

    For the last 24 hours I've had our firewall hammered repeatedly from
    10.0.1.1 - 10.0.1.9, all 9 addresses simultaneously going at all ports
    over 1024, over and over again!

    Obviously spooofed packet headers - and just as I got annoyed enough to
    want to start digging a bit deeper, the silly buggers stop!  Now isn't
    that annoying!  Anyway, what was interesting about this was also that,
    if I changed the IP address of the firewall's external interface say one
    up or one down, the ruddy things followed it!  Obviously then whatever
    it was, was continuously strobing a whole block of IP addresses!

    Anyone else seen anything like this lately?

    Later
    Konrad

    * Linux isn't unfriendly -
    * its just really picky about who its friends are!