Re: Code Red - A Possible Origin?

From: SVaterat_private
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:35:54 PDT

    Terrorism costs lives and limbs, not money and bandwidth/inconvenience.

    I agreed with what you were saying up to your point that I copied above.

    Terrorism is used to change or influence behavior of a people.  Even the
    FBI reflects this in their statement explaining it:

     Terrorism is the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property
      to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment
               thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.
                                    --FBI Definition

    Taking down a web site denies a company to advertise it's name is
    terrorism.  To deny use of a network, server, or laptop computer influences
    a company (companies) their commerce, thus influencing their livelihood.
    If a company can't make money, they can't survive.  People get laid off, so
    on and so forth.

    Virus/worm writers are only going to get better, and I think it will be
    happening sooner than later that companies finances will be attacked.

    So, I do believe that these viruses & worms could be an application of
    terrorism, no matter what the virus writer or script kiddy may think.

    Sean

    the system manager.