Re: Code Red - A Possible Origin?

From: Ben Okopnik (fuzzybearat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 12:05:42 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 05:55:56PM -0500, Michael J. Cannon wrote:

    > For those that joined this thread late, again, I am not saying these ARE the
    > authors, I am advocating that we use this opportunity as a 'tactical
    > exercise' in a well-known public forum, to show the public what tools are
    > used and some of the procedures for tracking down these incidents.  If this
    > is not the correct forum, I expect the relevant authorities (the list
    > moderator/admin) will tell us (and maybe make a suggestion on where would be
    > more appropriate).

    I will agree that this is a reasonable idea. This is, of course, FAR
    short of what the most likely public response is going to be (hell,
    already is): Congress and the talking heads are going to call for new,
    more stringent laws, public floggings, maybe executions... oh, wait,
    they've only _implied_ that so far. <grin>

    > Finally, for any lurkers from the press:  I don't believe that this is in
    > any way 'cyber-terrorism,'  whoever perpetrated 'Code Red,' its variants, or
    > virii like SirCam.  I don't believe that the TAO and their sibling
    > organizations are terrorists.  I don't believe whoever created Code Red is a
    > terrorist.  Terrorism kills people, not networks and computers.  Terrorism
    > costs lives and limbs, not money and bandwidth/inconvenience.  What goes on
    > in Israel/Palestine, Macedonia/Yugoslavia, Sri Lanka and elsewhere is
    > terrorism.

    Erm... _In the main,_ I agree with you - but, just to play the devil's
    advocate, what happens when someone crashes a hospital's network, or
    something similar where life does indeed equal the machine being up?
    The issue is not quite all that black-and-white.

    > The computer security community is on the job and we do care.  We want to
    > make the Internet a safer place for communities and commerce.  But to call
    > any of what our opposition does  'terrorism' is to demean the lives and
    > efforts of those who risk their lives combating that FAR more grievous
    > menace.  Bruce Schneier has said we in the security industry have lost the
    > battle with the press when it comes to 'hacker' vs. 'cracker.'  Let us not
    > allow the press to portray activists, curious children, petty criminals and
    > misguided individuals in the same way they do the animals that kill people
    > with guns and bombs.  'Hacktivism' and electronic civil disobedience are
    > better terms more amenable to the result of the crime.

    Erm... no, sorry, try again. "Hacktivism" is a positively-loaded term; I
    see very few (note that I carefully do not say "no") positive facets to
    cracking, and while cracking may on occasion be an instance of
    "hacktivism", confuting the two, IMO, is an even _worse_ evil than the
    "hacking/cracking" confusion. "Electronic civil disobedience"... I
    believe that I'm expressing the common sentiment that this sounds like
    marketroid-speak, and will be accepted to about the same degree; i.e.,
    "sounds like bullshit to me!" Catchy phrases have their place; this one
    does not fit. It's not even catchy.

    Worse yet, the concept itself does not fit. Cracking may not be
    terrorism, but it's not a harmless prank, either. Some folks might see
    it as "well, gee, it only hurts these companies - no big deal!"
    *WRONG*. "These companies" are someone's blood, sweat, and tears;
    often, a whole lot of someones. I speak as a man who has "raised" a
    company from scratch, ran it for a number of years, and then watched it
    die (not this crash; this was the '80s.) Buddy, lemme tell ya... if I
    caught someone destroying that company's resources, the resources that
    I painstakingly built up one penny at a time, I would skin the bastard
    with a dull file and spread the salt liberally.

    Crackers love to hide behind the shielding image of the rebel, the
    revolutionary. Puh-lease. A 13-year-old script kiddie is not a
    revolutionary; he's out to satisfy his adolescent curiosity and doesn't
    care in the least about the cost to others. Cracking is nothing but
    wanton destruction of someone's resources; end of story.

    Terrorism? No. Innocent exploration? Not that, either. Not by a *damn*
    long shot.

    Ben Okopnik
    Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the
    hands of other men. -- George Bernard Shaw