Re: Any one seen any evidence of "Code Blue?"

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 11:23:55 PDT

    Nick,

    It would seem to me that posting on a public list
    stating that "CodeBlue is vendor snake-oil and/or
    media hype" is no different from what you're accusing
    the vendors and media of.  You're simply taking the
    same tact, and shooting for the other end of the
    spectrum.

    > > Why have I not seen anything on this list about
    > the "Code Blue" worm?  ...
    >
    > Because it is hype and does not exist in the wild,
    > or if it does, it
    > is so buggy/flawed that it is effectively non-viable
    > in "real world"
    > infestations.

    Or, could it be that sadmin/IIS served to "inoculate"
    systems?

    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/codeblue.shtml

    http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_BLUECODE.A

    > 4.  CodeBlue (aka BlueCode) is repeatedly said to be
    > "potentially
    > much worse" than CodeRed.C with "the potential to
    > spread much faster".

    Said by whom?  Do you have links to published
    articles?

    It's not entirely clear why you're comparing Code Red
    to Code Blue.  Code Blue doesn't use the same
    infection vector as Code Red.  And I'm not sure how
    the fact that you haven't seen it qualifies it as
    non-existant.

    If Code Blue does exist, it's likely that sadmin/IIS
    and Code Red have caused IIS admins to update their
    systems.