Concept Virus(CV) V.5 - Advisory and Quick analysis

From: Olle Segerdahl (olleat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 07:47:00 PDT

    Hi all!

    We've all just been hit by a VERY aggressive worm/virus.

    Quick analysis indicates that it propagates itself in
    a number of different ways:

    Through use of IIS UNICODE direcory traversal coupled
    with the recent IIS .dll privilege escalation attack.
    It uses SMB/CIFS and TFTP to get the worm payload.

    Through MAPI mails (probably to all of addressbook).

    Other ways of spreading may be possible, but we haven't
    yet had the time to properly analyse the worm/virus.

    It seems to share "c:\" via SMB/CIFS as "c$" and
    the worm/virus also adds the "Guest" user and "Guests"
    group to the local "Administrators" group....

    Interesting strings in binary:

    Concept Virus(CV) V.5, Copyright(C)2001  R.P.China

    SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares\Security
    share c$=c:\
    user guest ""
    localgroup Administrators guest /add
    localgroup Guests guest /add