Re: nimda tries to send mail after reboot

From: Brett Glass (brettat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 10:13:30 PDT

    Messages bearing the worm are starting to trickle in, slowly. It
    may be that the worm is designed to start e-mailing only after the
    infection is a certain number of hours old.

    Sadly, the copies of the worm we're receiving are coming from
    companies whose employees we'd expect to know better than to
    leave machines unprotected -- such as V-One and SCO.

    I agree that it will be a very long week. None of our machines
    is susceptible to the worm, but our backbone feed is getting
    hammered. I wish we had a firewall under our control at our
    upstream provider.

    --Brett Glass