RE: nimda tries to send mail after reboot

From: Lists (listsat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 12:40:38 PDT

    Brett,

    > Sadly, the copies of the worm we're receiving are coming from
    > companies whose employees we'd expect to know better than to
    > leave machines unprotected -- such as V-One and SCO.

    It was noted before by someone, and witnessed by myself, that Nimda employs
    spoofing of sender's address. Yesterday I received a Nimda copy that was *sent
    by myself* (which of course raised my suspicion). A few minutes later I got a
    reply from McAfee ASAP Support which is an auto-replying mailbox - apparently
    Nimda sent itself to at least two addresses (but I'll assume there were more),
    pretending to be me. So let's not assume someone has a badly secured machine
    just because he/she is the apparent sender - more likely it means that someone
    with the apparent sender's address in address book is a little behind on
    security.

    Regards,

    Mitja Kolsek

    ACROS, d.o.o.
    Stantetova 4, SI - 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
    web: http://www.acros.si
    e-mail: mitja.kolsekat_private