Re: Nimda affecting HP LaserJet / JetDirect devices?

From: Florian Weimer (Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 14:08:58 PDT

    "Michael W. Shaffer" <shafferat_private> writes:

    > We are starting to get reports here from various users around our
    > site that our HP network printers are displaying strange messages
    > such as 'Good Morning', 'Nimda Live', and 'Kill Trees'. Has anyone
    > else noticed this behavior?

    We have received reports that certain HP LaserJet models with
    JetDirect cards are affected by a high number of HTTP requests sent to
    them, for example by Nimda machines.  There are rumors that the
    printer overwrites its EEPROM or its firmware, leaving it dead even
    after a power cycle, and that the JetDirect card has to be sent in to
    be repaired.  However, someone expressed hope that doing multiple cold
    resets with and without the JetDirect card (not connected to the
    network) should bring it to live again.

    Lexmark printers with Netmark cards are DoSsed, too, if an old
    firmware is used.  (In the default configuration, anybody can upload a
    new firmware to the Netmark card using TFTP, so funny effects are
    certainly possible.)

    Up-to-date information is available here (in German only, sorry):

    http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/ticker/article.php?mid=488

    --
    Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE
    University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/