Re: Yet Another Nimda Thread (YANT)

From: Florian Weimer (Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 14:17:12 PDT

    "Portnoy, Gary" <gportnoyat_private> writes:

    > I heard there were a few reports of Nimda going completely quiet in certain
    > netblocks, but none were substantiated.  I haven't seen a single Nimda IIS
    > exploit attempt since a little before 10 AM (EST).  I checked my IDS, apache
    > logs, IIS logs -- nothing.  Seems like it went silent.  Still seeing CodeRed
    > though. Can any one correlate?  I am somewhere in the 12.27 netblock :)

    The scanning is certainly not uniformly distributed.  Our IP address
    space was hit pretty hard on the 18th and 19th, but some hosts were
    targeted only very lightly.  OTOH, we have only a very limited number
    of infected machines in the local /16 address range (hmm, possibly up
    to /15 or /14), due to massive efforts to get vulnerable IIS servers
    off the network, so our data is probably not representative.

    --
    Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE
    University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/