RE: Nimda affecting HP LaserJet / JetDirect devices?

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 09:35:38 PDT

    Richard.Grantat_private wrote:

    > We have no less than 20 Lexmark printers that were infected.  ...

    **Infected** ???

    It seems unlikely that a network interface for any printer would be
    implemented on a 386+ running NT 4.0 or Win2K and with IIS as its web
    management interface.  As those are the platform requirements for
    infection via Nimda's HTTP scanning distribution mecahism, I doubt
    you really mean "infected"...

    > ...  In every case
    > they did not have up-to-date firmware. This started with Code Red and has
    > continued with Nimda. There are some notible differences though, Code Red
    > just started the printers sending out large quantities of packets. The Nimda
    > infected machines are searching for Web servers.  ...

    That does sound weird.

    > ...  In both cases upgrading the
    > firmware and restarting the printer has solved the problem.  ...

    So, how big is a ROM image for these things -- with IIS running on NT
    or Win2K, they can't be small!

    > ...  So far we have
    > not had any of our HP's infected by Nimda as they were by Code Red.  ...

    Isn't that because HP's network interfaces are implemented as Linux
    on PowerPC with Apache for the web management interface?

    > ...  This is
    > what we have found..

    No -- that is what you reported.

    We're still in the dark about what you found.

    However, I'll hazard a guess about what you found.  Your IDS
    flagged some "odd" traffic coming from your printers as Nimda.  At a
    real stretch, I'll guess this traffic was a variation on the events
    Dave Taylor and Brian Marshall have reported of some Macs "bouncing"
    Nimda HTTP probes back to the originating machines (it could be as
    simple, depending on the IDS and the Nimda signature, as the
    printer's web interface returning a "not found" error page that
    included the requested URL).  Remember, IDSes are fairly blunt and
    broad brush tools at the best of times, and doubly so in
    inexperienced hands.

    Please folk -- if you see something odd or weird you are not sure
    about it, post a description of what happened, what you did and what
    you saw then ask if anyone knows what's going on.

    For now, rumours of Nimda "infecting" Lexmark printers are
    exaggerated.

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald