Re: Tracking down the still infected hosts

From: Kyle R. Hofmann (krhat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 23:42:31 PDT

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:00:53 -0400, "Fulton L. Preston Jr." wrote:
    > I implemented the methods below on my IIS and Apache servers and it
    > knocked all the local Nimda traffic dead in minutes. Nimda traffic from
    > neighboring ISPs was way down within an hour.  Since I am on a cable
    > modem I can't control the rest of the network around me but this sure
    > did shut them noisy infected boxes up in a hurry :)

    For machines that don't run a web server, I wrote a short perl script that
    will send an HTTP/1.1 Redirect to anyone attempting to access port 80.  I'm
    not very familiar with the HTTP protocol, so I may have done something that's
    technically incorrect, but lynx honors the redirect just fine, so I think it's
    OK.  The script is appended to this message.

    --
    Kyle R. Hofmann <krhat_private>

    -----Script begins here-----
    #!/usr/bin/perl -Tw

    use strict;
    use IO::Socket;

    $::WEB_PORT = 80;

    my ($server);
    my ($client);

    $server = IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalPort	=> $::WEB_PORT,
    				Type		=> SOCK_STREAM,
    				Reuse		=> 1,
    				Listen		=> SOMAXCONN )
    	or die "I couldn't bind myself to port $::WEB_PORT: $!\n";

    close(STDIN);
    close(STDOUT);
    close(STDERR);
    chdir("/");

    while ($client = $server->accept()) {
    	my ($line);

    	while (($line = <$client>) !~ /^\s*$/) { }

    	print $client "HTTP/1.1 301 Redirect\n";
    	print $client "Date: ", scalar(localtime()), "\n";
    	print $client "Location: http://127.0.0.1/\n\n";

    	$client->shutdown(2);
    }