Re: Hacked using vulnerable FTP daemon.

From: Patrick Andry (pandryat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 09:04:19 PDT

    Paul Tan wrote:

    > Hello experts,
    >
    >                    I am helping a friend who got hacked last few days.
    > Below is the logs from /var/log/messages, i managed to get the logs
    > from the "last" command too. Is this sufficient info to call their ISP
    > and get that guy?
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Paul
    >
    > If you need more evidence i can produce eg. rootkits and stuff i found
    > on the webserver.

    <snip>

    It is sufficient to call the ISP and have them tell the SA's of the
    other boxes that they have been hacked as well( due to the two IP
    addresses involved).  Maybe with their logs you can find them, or find
    the next hacked machine in the chain.
    Aside from that, there's no real legal steps that can be successfully
    taken, unless you can prove that the chain of evidence wasn't broken.