Re: Nimda esponsibility - Laying appropriatel - implied warranty of sale

From: namorat_private
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 05:32:14 PDT

    Fred, et all,
         Don't bother with a class action.  We have seen how
    effective the legal system was in spanking the monopoly
    to begin with.  You really want to put them out of
    business?  STOP USING THEIR PRODUCTS.  How many other
    ways can it be said?
         It is not like there aren't alternatives out
    there.  There are other OSes (free & non), other
    browsers, other free media players, other free office
    suites, etc.  And in many cases they are compatible with
    the current MS file formats (ie: StarOffice can read and
    save as MS office formats).  But as consultants,
    contractors, and vendors we are not pushing our
    customers to make the change.
         It's the same in the Anti-Virus industry, who by
    the way is the real culprit here.  We keep using that
    ineffective, reactive signature-file based garbage when
    there are clearly better alternatives out there to offer
    our customers (like behavior-based solutions such as
    InDefense's Achilles Shield and Mail Defense products I
    use -- infectionless since 1999!).  Time for a better
    solution.
         If you are serious about this effort, then
    education and proof are the keys to making it work.
    Build two boxes, one MS and one Linux for example.  Lock
    them down as best you can then attack them while your
    customer watches.  The proof is in the results.  When
    the dust settles, which box is still operational?  Which
    one over time has more "uptime"?  Uptime = money and
    mission success, and THAT is where the victory will be
    won.

    Just my $0.02
    Rob