RE: Network 195.70.202.0/24 is hacker-freindly

From: Justin Silles (JUSTIN@m-m-s.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 09:10:10 PST

    At a company I worked at three years ago I called the offending company's
    ISP and informed them of the traffic and the load it was trying to use on
    our ISDN line.  While it was a minor situation, the ISP handled it as THEIR
    responsibility to find out why one of THEIR accounts / THEIR IP Addresses
    was generating "hacker" traffic.

    In a similar instance, I used to txt dump my NT logs and e-mail them to an
    administrator for my home ISP for every possible hack attack.  There was a
    group of three users on my ISP's network that would continually try to log
    onto my machine at night for 2 hour time blocks using usernames that were
    obvious break-in attempts.  My home ISPs position was that they would not
    punish a user biased on my log reports (because of possible forgery),
    however, they would begin logging that user's activity biased on my NT logs
    and from there they would determine if that user was abusing the ISPs
    "acceptable use policy."  All four users at that ISP had their accounts
    removed and one of them was changed with computer B&E by a local company
    that they were stealing secrets/documents from (details were cloudy).  They
    were caught because of my original NT logs and the ISP thanked me for
    monitoring my home dial-up connection.

    To this day I use the same tactics against computers with Code Red and
    nimda.  I e-mail the company admin when possible and I cc the admin of their
    ISP if I can figure it out.  Whether it's SAPM, viruses or break-ins...I'm
    all for stopping it in it's tracks.  If an ISP pulls the plug on an
    offending company's Internet connection because they didn't fix things
    within a reasonable time...so be it.  I don't think if you have issues with
    your server you should have to fix it within 5 minutes, but I do think that
    there should be a time within reason that you can fix it, or pull it off the
    Internet.

    Regards,
    Justin M. Silles