RE: DDoS Attacks to several Networks (Switzerland)

From: List-Collector (auto-listat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 15:31:24 PST

    Hi Michi

    Being also located in Switzerland, I just wanted to let you know that we did
    not have any problems with a DDoS; But we did also have a problem with a
    Suse 6.2 Linux-Box which was also owned through the SSH hole. The system was
    scaned around 15:40 (Dec 18, CET) and attacked and entered around 22:10. The
    attacker left quite a few files (and log entries :-)) and two e-mails which
    didn't make it out our gateway (to lostlov3at_private and tcplogat_private).

    He made a directory /mc apparently with a rootkit in a file "lamerk.tar.gz".
    Its install-script shows that it replaced a few commands and installed a
    http-backdoor (alya.cgi). Separatly in /etc/claudiu/scanssh the tool
    "scanssh" was installed.

    Around 03:30 (Dec 19, CET) the system recieved a couple large ICMP Packets
    and started the scanssh on a big block of systems.

    ---

    I pulled together the logs along with most of the files (scanssh was erased
    by a trigger-happy admin :-)), if anyone is interested.

    I've filed a complaint with the ISPs mentioned in the logs, is there
    anything else I need to do (besides clean/replace the system)? Is there some
    place I could get more information about the kits involved here?

    Thanks

    John Mueller

    SOFTplus Entwicklungen GmbH  -  Software fuer Therapien
    Laettichstrasse 8    /   CH-6340 Baar   /   Switzerland
    Tel. 041/763 32 32 Fax: 041/763 30 90  www.softplus.net