RE: Newest Nimda variant? Scanning ftp,telnet,smtp,snmp?

From: Tony Langdon (tlangdonat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 14:42:37 PST

    > > I have logs of an infected host that's not only
    > > doing the "GET .../c+dir"
    > > thing and scanning for Windows shares, but also
    > > scanning for open TCP
    > > ports 20, 21, 23, and 25, *and* UDP 161.
    >
    > So your web logs are receiving the directory
    > transversal attempts...is the first entry a query for
    > '/scripts/root.exe'?

    I have seen a massive increase in directory traversal and other IIS exploits
    in the last week to 10 days.  Previously, there would only be a handful that
    were recorded occasionally in an hour period.  Now, there's 50 or more
    attempts an hour.  Has anyone else seen a similar increase in activity?

    Also, the attempts in a series are repeated from the same IP address (dozens
    in rapid succession ), so whatever is doing the probing is very persistent,
    before moving onto the next victim.  There have now been scans from dozens
    of very different IPs, again with the same volley of dozens of probes within
    a very short period. from each IP.

    I haven't seen mich activity on other ports though, except for the
    background level of port 111 RPC scans that have been around a while.

    ---
    Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses

    This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain