AW: nouser - rootkit ?

From: vogtat_private
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 01:21:27 PST

    > I am just curious about the "red herring"-part of the story and the
    > term "real rootkit"...
    >
    > I wonder if there are really attackers out there installing
    > bogus-rootkits in order to protect the real ones. Has anybody on this list

    > detected such kind of "feints"?

    Not directly, but I have found multiple rootkits installed on a compromised
    server late last year. I can think of a number of reasons why the attacker
    would want to install more than one, but staying in control even if one is
    discovered is surely a plausible option.

    On the other hand, this strikes me as a very dumb move. If the sysadmin is
    bright enough to find the rootkit, I sure do hope that he also realizes that
    the only way to a clean system is through a full reinstall.