Re: AW: nouser - rootkit ?

From: Rob McCauley (robmccauat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 08:55:59 PST

    On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 vogtat_private wrote:

    > On the other hand, this strikes me as a very dumb move. If the sysadmin is
    > bright enough to find the rootkit, I sure do hope that he also realizes that
    > the only way to a clean system is through a full reinstall.

    On the contrary, I'd say it was a smart move.  Far too many people who
    should know better advocate cleaning up a compromised system rather than
    wiping it and reinstalling.  I've always thought upon reading such
    recommendations that intruders would do well to entrench themselves deeply
    in a system, then leave a throwaway rootkit such that it would be found if
    anyone went looking.  Those who advocate cleaning a system rather
    than reinstalling it really should stop.  :)  I do believe it can be done,
    but it would require booting from trusted media and a full audit of the
    system, at a minimum.  Reinstalling is generally easier and faster, and
    much more likely to leave you with a clean system.

    Rob

    Rob McCauley
    Radiation Oncology
    Duke University Medical Center