Excess SMTP traffic to non-mail host

From: Basil Hussain (basil.hussainat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 04:10:39 PST

    Hi,

    I have recently noticed a rather worrying trend appearing in the logs from
    our firewall here. Over the past fortnight or so, there has been a fairly
    steady increase in the amount of port 25 (SMTP) connection attempts to a
    host which isn't (and never has been) a mail host. This host only serves a
    web site, the domain's e-mail being served by another host on a different IP
    address.

    This isn't really a problem for the server on the receiving end, as our
    firewall is blocking the traffic and rejecting these connections. However,
    I'm getting worried that this is either some kind of major cock-up somewhere
    or some kind of bizarre DDoS attempt.

    To give you an idea of the traffic levels, here's the totals on connections
    over the past 18 days:

    2002-03-08: 145
    2002-03-09: 169
    2002-03-10: 130
    2002-03-11: 110
    2002-03-12: 138
    2002-03-13: 137
    2002-03-14: 294
    2002-03-15: 240
    2002-03-16: 168
    2002-03-17: 440
    2002-03-18: 1044
    2002-03-19: 1635
    2002-03-20: 2746
    2002-03-21: 3961
    2002-03-22: 5618
    2002-03-23: 8962
    2002-03-24: 9218
    2002-03-25: 8644
    2002-03-26: 11430

    As you can see, the figures have really shot up over the past week.

    I've done a bit of analysis. The traffic originates from around 40-60
    different IP address, with the top 3 usually the same and being located in
    Korea, China, etc. Also, there seems to be no significant pattern on the
    timing of this traffic. It's constant, 24-hours a day - about 300-500
    connections per hour yesterday (26th) specifically. One other thing to note
    is that the host this traffic is directed at is the only one in our IP block
    receiving this traffic. Other hosts aren't getting it.

    Has anyone any clues what's going on here? Misconfigured remote mail hosts?
    Missing MX records somewhere out there? DDoS against mail hosts?

    Regards,

    Basil Hussain