Re: Excess SMTP traffic to non-mail host

From: Chris Wilkes (cwilkesat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 08:56:37 PST

    On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 12:10:39PM -0000, Basil Hussain wrote:

    > Has anyone any clues what's going on here? Misconfigured remote mail hosts?
    > Missing MX records somewhere out there? DDoS against mail hosts?

    To see if it is a wacky MX record out there you could install a minimal
    SMTP server config that doesn't actually do anything beyond taking in
    the email and recording who it was set To:.

    You could do this by installing your favorite mail server and setting it
    up to not accept any domain's email.  You'll get the info up to the To:
    which is what you want to look at.

    I had a problem with an errant DNS record pointing to my new set of IP
    addresses.  Kept on getting web requests for some /manual/... pages which I
    knew I didn't have.  I modified Apache's logging so that it would print
    out the exact host it was trying to go to (in a nutshell I made the 404
    return go to a cgi script which dumped Apache's environment variables so
    I can pick out %HTTP_HOST) and found the offending name.  Contacted the
    admin and worked it out.

    Chris