Re: Excess SMTP traffic to non-mail host

From: dr john halewood (johnat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 08:41:06 PST

    On Wednesday 27 March 2002 12:10 pm, Basil Hussain wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently noticed a rather worrying trend appearing in the logs from
    > our firewall here. Over the past fortnight or so, there has been a fairly
    > steady increase in the amount of port 25 (SMTP) connection attempts to a
    > host which isn't (and never has been) a mail host. This host only serves a
    > web site, the domain's e-mail being served by another host on a different
    > IP address.
    [...]
    > Has anyone any clues what's going on here? Misconfigured remote mail hosts?
    > Missing MX records somewhere out there? DDoS against mail hosts?

    Probably you're getting hit by idiotic spamming software. I've seen this many
    times where you have DNS entries like
    www.test.com.		IN	A	192.168.0.1
    mail.test.com.		IN	A	192.168.0.2
    test.com.		IN	MX	mail.test.com.
    test.com.		IN	A	192.168.0.1

    Stupid mail programs often ignore the MX record (mail.test.com) for email and
    use test.com's IP address instead. The geographical pattern you report also
    suggests it's bad spambots as well ;-)

    cheers
    john