Re: I think I've been hacked...please help!

From: Joe Warner (rootman22at_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 05:14:44 PST

    dominik wrote:

    > this is just normal traffic in a cable modem network.
    > i've got a lot of arp queries,too. (all the time)
    > the bootp queries to the broadcast adress are also normal.
    > so don't worry...
    >
    > dominik

    Ok, I was almost too embarrassed to respond and acknowledge
    the idiocy of my last post but since so many people responded with
    free tickets to the clue train, I think it's only fair that I should
    respond with an explanation.

    A while ago, when AT&T was still @home, I used Snort to monitor my
    cable connection and I could swear that I didn't see any traffic like
    this.  This is the first time that I've used Snort to monitor my
    connection
    after AT&T switched over to their own network (@attbi)

    Shortly after I hit the "Send" button on my last message, I did a
    "whois" on 12.254.196.1 and the other IP addresses and realized that it
    was just
    normal ARP queries coming from AT&T.

    Sorry for wasting everyone's time and letting paranoia/panic get the
    best of me.

    Humbly,

    Joe

    --
    If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
                    -- Arthur Kasspe