Unknown Hosts file

From: David Tan (dtanat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 16:31:28 PST

    I have a client machine running Windows 2000
    Professional.  All of a sudden, one day, the user was
    unable to access several of the most popular
    websites (i.e. google, yahoo, cnn, etc.).  I noticed that
    the machine was attempting to access the wrong IP
    address for all the websites, in fact, it was attempting
    to access the SAME IP address for every website in
    the group.  After some research, I found there was a
    Hosts file with all the domains in question listed, and
    the erroneous IP address.  Has anyone ever come
    accross an incident where a virus or trojan would
    place a Hosts file onto a system.  I have thoroughly
    scanned the machine for viruses, open ports, etc.
    and found nothing.  Is there anything else I should be
    on the lookout for?