Re: Unknown Hosts file

From: Michael ENGEL (michael-engelat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 17:52:16 PST

    I read something like that in Fred Langa's newsletter on March 11.

    here it is

    3) ... And An Old Kind Of Scumware Returns

    We've written previously about software that abuses your "Hosts" file:

    The Hosts file is mainly meant to be used on a LAN; it tells your PC the
    fixed numeric address of the internal server--- Host---  you need to
    connect to. But some less-than-stellar internet speedup software tries
    to shave a few fractions of a second off your Internet connections by
    placing the numeric IP of external web sites in the Hosts file so your
    browser won't have to look up the name and address externally. This
    works---as long as the site's numeric IP address never changes.

    But IP addresses *do* change--- and they're supposed to be able to. The
    Web operates via "dynamic" naming, where a human-friendly name (such as
    "www.langa.com") is actually an alias for a numeric address (in this
    case, 64.41.108.95). The numeric address can and will change from time
    to time as a site is moved or reconfigured.

    People with out-of-date addresses hardwired into their Hosts file can no
    longer connect to any site whose address has changed--- the Hosts entry
    is permanently pointing them to a dead location!

    There's lots more information on Hosts file abuse at
    http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=0008002a-sp00000000&sp-q=evil+hosts
    . But the reason I bring it up now is a note from frequent contributor
    Suresh Ramasubramanian that discussed a new twist on that technique:

    It's a fake email greeting card notification that contains a link you're
    supposed to click to see the actual card. But when you click on the
    link, you get an error message saying something like "Sorry, We are
    closed for scheduled maintenance. Please come back in a few hours to
    view and send your postcards."

    The error message is fake. What really happens is that the page runs a
    script that creates a new Hosts file that associates the names of many
    popular sites--- hotmail, yahoo, google, microsoft, icq, msn, netscape,
    aol and dozens of others--- with the numeric address of a spam/p o r n
    site: Any time you enter, say, "www.microsoft.com," the Hosts file kicks
    in and substitutes the spam/p o r n address, and your browser then
    obediently takes you there instead of to the site you intended.

    Good anti-scripting security will prevent the script from running in the
    first place. But here's how you can recover from this or any kind of
    Hosts file abuse:

    If you have trouble connecting to a site you know should be there, or if
    a site that should be OK is delivering content you know is not normally
    part of that site, use NotePad to examine the contents of your Hosts
    file in the Windows directory.

    If you're on a LAN, your system administrator can tell you if you really
    need entries in the Hosts file, and what they should be; delete any
    others. And if you're not on a LAN, chances are you don't need the Hosts
    file at all. Rename it HOSTSBAK or something similar, reboot, and see
    what happens. Chances are, the only thing that will change is that you
    may be able to connect to sites that were giving you trouble. But, if it
    turns out you do need the Hosts file, just rename it back to Hosts.

    If you wish, you can also try setting your known-good Hosts file to Read-
    Only, so no software can alter it without your knowledge.

    (By the way, HOSTS.SAM is a fake sample HOSTS file placed in the Windows
    directory by default. It's not involved in any of the foregoing; you can
    ignore it.)