Re: Unknown Hosts file

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 18:02:45 PST

    Dave,

    This may actually be nothing more than a practical
    joke...after all, it's been listed on such sites as
    HappyHacker.org and others for years.

    Did you happen to preserve the MAC times and maybe
    even the owner of the file?  I'm assuming auditing
    wasn't enabled, b/c otherwise you'd be able to
    correlate the last write time with a login.

    Scanning for viruses is good, but you may want to
    check for other stuff, too.  After all, there are nice
    little 'gifts' that some A/V tools don't pick up.  I
    was at a gov't site, and their A/V product didn't pick
    up netcat.

    Have you checked open ports?  Use netstat to start,
    but if you find anything suspicious, grab a copy of
    fport from FoundStone's site.  Also check processes w/
    pslist and listdlls from the SysInternals site, and
    maybe even grab pulist from the RK.  Check the running
    services, as well.

    'course, logging is helpful in these incidents, but it
    has to be enabled *before* the incident.

    HTH