Re: IGMP DOS Attack

From: John Kristoff (jtkat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 13:45:08 PDT

    On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:53:03 -0400
    Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:

    > Anybody *else* remember a certain worm randomly picking IP addresses
    > to attack, and causing IGMP meltdowns when it happened to pick a
    > 224.x.x.x address, as all the multicast-aware hosts would start asking
    > about the group?  I remember a 2AM firestorm that took several of our
    > routers and part of Abeliene with it...

    It was the Ramen worm and it scanned random address space, including
    that within 224.0.0.0/4.  It wasn't IGMP, but rather problems with
    excessive session announcement state between MSDP peers.  Marshall
    Eubanks gave a good presentation at a recent NANOG about IP multicast
    issues including the impact of Ramen on the IP multicast enabled
    Internet.

    John