RE: illogic rootkit

From: Dan Irwin (danat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 14:22:29 PDT

    Some additional information:

    (For readers on the Honeypot list, please read my original post on Incidents
    Here:
    http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/75/268589)

    The honeypot was a Default fresh install of Redhat Linux 7.2. As many
    network services were enabled as possible. No patches were applied. This was
    installed in a VMware virtual machine, on a host-only network consisting of
    public IP addresses.

    Another /28 network was DNAT'd to the machine.

    They honeypot was online for a little over 24 hours.  In that time, i
    believe it was compromised twice. Syslog logged a _lot_ of ftp connections
    from 1 particular IP address, indicating some kind of brute force wuftpd
    exploit.

    I believe the machine was also compromised via sshd, although i have not
    confirmed this.

    I had tcpdump -w running on the VMware host machine. It generated a lot of
    traffic, which i really need to analyse more. I have analysed the attackers
    download of this rootkit, obtained his username and password to the FTP site
    in question (albeit invalid).

    For anyone interested, here is some tcpdump output (tcpdump -w) of the host
    in question. I have not fully analyzed this, but im am sure others will. The
    gz file is about 800k. The logfile inside is around 2.7megs. It can be
    loaded into ethereal or tcpdump or whatever. This will be full of little
    secrets, no doubt.

    http://www2.linuxphreaks.org/pub/unsorted/tcpdump_log.gz

    I pulled that honeypot offline after about 24 hours. I did not want to be
    the source of a worm starting or spreading. In the days since, my network
    has recieved a LOT of port scans from networks in romania, looking for their
    "root". In particilar, i have noticed a lot of scans for port 1221, which
    appears to the the port the illogic rootkit's sshd binds to.

    I have also been on the Undernet IRC network in these guys channel, #h4ck3r,
    but not alot appears to go on.

    And for those who read my email signature, Security is a personal hobby of
    myn. The company for which i consult dont mind me reading/following security
    issues on their time. My boss is shit scared about being "hacked" or having
    downtime to viruses. The honeypot was on my own home network, and not here
    at Jackies.

    I originally planned to post all this information on a web page over the
    weekend, but never got around to it. Too much Coding.

    PS. This is only really the second time i have unleashed a honeypot on
    unsuspecting script kiddies; i am a relative honeypot newbee!

    - Dan.

    And Once Again, The rootkit et al:

    Here it is:

    http://www2.linuxphreaks.org/pub/security/rootkits/illogic.tgz